Thursday, May 29, 2008

Last Saterday

Wow i haven't blogged in a LONG time i cant believe i didn't write about last weekend. Last weekend i went deep sea fishing with my dad my siblings and brother Applegate. I had never been deep sea fishing before so this was my first time and not only was it my first time it was my sisters first time fishing period. Anyway, we docked off somewhere in Bayou La Batre. As we started the boat up my dad went and parked the car everyone put one their life vest and as soon as my dad got back, we were off. So as we start to make our way out into the vast open ocean my dad and kit start debating on where to set the anchor so we could fish. They finally decide on a place near the lower end of dauphin island about 15 minutes later. Brother Applegate set the anchor and my dad began to rig all the fishing lines. Since my dad had fished in the same place last time he thought that we would be catching a good amount of sharks and fish since last time they were catching something every 10 minutes. It was at least half an hour at the least before we even got a bite. Notice I said a bite not a catch. It was yet another half hour till Blake actually caught a shark but we didn't keep it so there for we threw it back but it was a good 34 inches. Maybe 20 minutes later Hannah gets a bite but she couldn't control it so i took it over for her. From the way it was fighting and pulling you would have thought it was a baby shark. When i finally got it out of the water it was an eel. My dad and brother Applegate were both surprised to see an eel fighting like that then brother Applegate said it probably had the bait in its stomach when Hannah realized she had something and that's why it may have been fighting so hard. Half an hour later i finally got something and to my surprise it was a shark :] my first catch was a shark and this one was a keeper it was well over 34 inches and fat so we kept it. not even 30 minutes later i got something else. It was a sting ray. I fought with that thing for a good 5 minutes. I almost broke the fishing rod because the sting ray decided to go under the boat and he wanted me to go down with him. my dad had to take the rod from me and brake the line. he got away obviously. i just wanted to let everyone know of my first catch :] i don't think we tool pictures this time i think brother Applegate did though.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Chelsea that sounds like a FUN day! And wow you caught a shark, how cool is that?!

Susan said...

You know, the very first time my dad went deep sea fishing, it was during the Dauphin Island Fishing Rodeo. He caught a shark that day and won first place in the competition! He was so excited, he bought a boat and went every year after that. But guess what? He never won again! He did, however, bring home lots of good fish. My favorite was king mackerel, yumm!!!